East Coast will carry your cycle free of charge if you have a valid ticket. We can carry only one cycle per customer, space allowing. Two spaces will need to be reserved for a tandem bicycle. Please note that we are unable to carry non-folding cycles on rail replacement coach services.
We have no restrictions regarding Brompton style folding cycles that can be safely stowed as normal luggage within the passenger accommodation. Please fold these before boarding and do not reassemble until you have left the train.
If your journey involves a public transport connecting service, please check with the provider for their policy and more information on the carriage of cycles.
Please note that some stations have short platforms. Cycles may be carried to/from stations with short platforms. Please board the train at coach F and transfer your bike to the Guard's Van at the first opportunity, once you have spoken to the Guard. When alighting at a station with a short platform, please speak to the Guard when you board the train and ask for advice on the necessary course of action.
Reserving your cycle
Please be sure to reserve your cycle onto the train of your choice before you travel, as we will not carry your cycle unless it has been reserved. Two spaces need to be reserved for tandem bicycles. This can be done by:
1. Book online and request a cycle reservation at the same time
- When booking via this website, cycle reservations can be requested as part of the booking process.
- If a cycle space is not available for your chosen service, this will be flagged and you will be requested to select an alternative service.
2. Calling into your local East Coast Travel Centre or station
- You can reserve a cycle place at Travel Centres and stations up to the time of departure of your train. However, as spaces are limited and are sold on a ‘first come first served’ basis, you are advised to book your reservation as soon as you are certain which train you will be travelling on, or at the time of purchasing your Advance ticket.
- We can only carry up to five cycles per train.
3. More information
- Please label your cycle with the relevant cycle reservation ticket ensuring that it clearly shows your name, contact details and destination station.
- Your cycle will be stored in the guard’s van, so please locate it and load your cycle in plenty of time before your train departs.
- Please arrive at the station platform at least five minutes before departure.
At the station
Please dismount from your cycle before you enter the station. If you’re leaving it at the station, please use the cycle racks/cupboards we’ve provided at all East Coast stations. Cycles are left at owner’s risk and East Coast accepts no liability for cycles or contents left at the station. For security reasons, please do not leave bags or panniers on your cycle. In the interests of security East Coast reserves the right to inspect the contents of any cycle panniers and bags left attached to the cycle whilst left in the cycle park. Find more station information here.